*Watch now: how the transfer window REALLY works*The Rumour Mill: Chelsea to beat Manchester City to Gerson?*Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @Simon_Burnton 12.17pm GMT And Novak Djokovic will play Andy Murray in the Australian Open final after winning the final set against Stanislas Wawrinka by the astonishingly-one-sided-given-the-rest-of-the-match score of 6-0. 12.15
*Australian Open updates from the semi-final at Melbourne Park*The Joy of Six: Roger Federer. By Jacob Steinberg*Andy Murray storms into Australian Open final by beating Berdych*Email email@example.com or tweet @JacobSteinberg 12.17pm GMT Djokovic speaks. “I was ready for the battle and it was a great battle,” he says. “We pushed each other to the limit and I congratula
• Batsman’s 82 steadies ship for victory over India• ‘It was nice to contribute a match-winning score’• Taylor and Buttler steer England to win over India• As it happened: England recover to beat IndiaJames Taylor has insisted the team must come first after his heroics helped England book their place in Sunday’s Tri-Series final with a three-wicket victory over India.England needed only t
Few major tournaments can have felt so irrelevant to their time and place as the last European Championship and the potential fault lines in Ukraine were apparent to those who cared to lookThe Donbass Arena, built with several hundred million of an oligarch’s dollars, was as striking a modern setting for a football match as could be imagined. A shortish walk from the centre of Donetsk, it invit
Google missed Wall Street’s revenue expectations, but it revealed people really love watching adverts, claimed credit for the success of The Interview and let people send money via GmailGoogle isn’t printing money quite as fast as it used to, missing revenue expectations, but the company revealed that people really like watching adverts, that Glass is taking a strategic “reset” and you can no
Crystal Palace have never enjoyed a league double over Everton, and have not beaten them at Selhurst Park since an Andy Preece goal secured victory in October 1994, but this would appear their best opportunity in a generation. Alan Pardew, who had scored a winner against the Merseysiders five years earlier, has won his four games in charge to date while Roberto Martínez’s team arrive with one wi
• Sepp Blatter kickstarts re-election campaign with warm words for Australia• ‘Sport is a defining element in day-to-day life in Australia’ says Fifa president• Blatter favourite for Fifa presidency as nominations close• Video: Fifa presidential election – who are the candidatesThe Fifa president Sepp Blatter has fired his opening salvo in his campaign for re-election by saying Australia des
• German World Cup winner set to move for £22.5m• ‘There are still a few things to discuss’ says agentAndré Schürrle is on the verge of completing his return to the Bundesliga with his agent confirming a “verbal agreement” has been reached between Chelsea and Wolfsburg.A sum of around €30m (£22.5m) is reported to have been agreed for the transfer, which Schürrle’s agent Ingo Haspel told Ger
Alan King has Uxizandre on alert for a potential clash with Sire De Grugy in the Game Spirit ChaseTony Paley: Trainer Alan King has Uxizandre on alert for a potential clash with Sire De Grugy in next week’s Game Spirit Chase at Newbury on Saturday week. Continue reading...
The Australian Open has transformed in the past two decades. Back in 1984 the tournament was played on grass at the old Kooyong Stadium and featured wooden racquets, a British former champion and a very angry Pat CashBy Steven Pye for That 1980s Sports Blog, part of the Guardian Sport NetworkBack in 1984, the Australian Open was a completely different tournament to the one we witness now. Pl
Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova won their first Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday with a 6-4, 7-6 (5) victory over China's Zheng Jie and Taiwan's Chan Yung-jan. The pair beat five seeded pairings to win the first of the titles at the 2015 Australian Open. It was the first time the two had played together in a tournament, and they are the first new pairing to win the women's
• India 200; England 201-7• England’s nervy three-wicket win seals Tri-Series final place• James Taylor says team must come first• As it happened: England recover to beat India• Michael Clarke in fitness race for World CupIf England wanted an examination of their big-match temperament ahead of the World Cup, India provided it as Eoin Morgan’s team came back from the brink in this low-scorin
• Serena Williams takes on Maria Sharapova in women’s final• Britain’s Katie Swan plays in Australian Open girls’ final_(All times local, +11 hours from GMT)_ Continue reading...
Daniel Engelbrecht poses in front of an x-ray showing his heart defibrillator. The Stuttgarter Kickers player collapsed and had to be resuscitated during a game last July but has made it back into the first team. Continue reading...
*England successfully chase down 201 to win by three wickets*Morgan’s IPL decision hits chances of England Test place for Ashes 11.00am GMT Right, that’s it from me. Thank you for your company and your emails. Stick around on site for all the reports and reaction, but for now cheerio! 10.58am GMT So it’ll be England v Australia in the Tri-Series final on Sunday. And it’ll be on the
• James Ward-Prowse signs fresh five-and-a-half-year contract• Midfielder ‘will be a great player’ says Southampton manager Ronald Koeman• Transfer window: all the latest news• Video: Guardian Football meets … Matt Le TissierJames Ward-Prowse has committed his future to Southampton by signing a new five-and-a-half-year deal at St Mary’s.A graduate of the club’s academy, the 20-year-old ha
As the two best teams in the Premier League go head to head on Saturday they will be probing for each other’s weaknesses• Chelsea v Manchester City: assessing the global stature of the fixtureSaturday’s evening kick-off sees the two best teams in the Premier League go head to head in what should be a fascinating tactical battle. Both sides have weaknesses that have been exploited in recent wee
• Channel 4 televised meeting must pass 2pm Friday check• Catterick forced to call off fixture owing to frozen trackAbandonments are an issue once more for horse racing around Britain as the cold weather takes a grip but the week’s feature race-meeting at Sandown on Saturday is expected to survive. The south London track has been under frost covers since Wednesday and no formal inspection is p
• Indian-Swiss pairing beat Hsieh Su-Wei and Pablo Cuevas 7-5, 6-4• Martina Hingis has sixth Australian Open doubles title in sight• Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova win women’s doubles finalMartina Hingis moved closer to a first grand slam title since coming out of retirement after she and Leander Paes secured a place in the Australian Open mixed doubles final by beating Hsieh Su-Wei
With Super Bowl Sunday nearly upon us, we look at some of the greatest adverts and outline what makes them so successful • Changing Media Summit 2015 programmeOn 1 February in Glendale, Arizona, the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will battle it out to decide which team is crowned NFL champion for the 2014/15 season. That’s right – Super Bowl Sunday is nearly upon us. But if you’r
From overcoming Pete Sampras at Wimbledon to finally winning the French Open via the tweener, here are half a dozen great moments from the Swiss starCome at the king, best not miss, as Pete Sampras was never heard saying to his many victims at Wimbledon. But he missed a trick by not saying it because it would have been an excellent and appropriate catchphrase. Continue reading...
• American and Czech beat Zheng Jie and Chan Yung-jan 6-4, 7-6• Unseeded duo are first new pairing to win Melbourne doubles title since 2005• Katie Swan reaches Australian Open girls finalThe American Bethanie Mattek-Sands and her Czech partner Lucie Safarova won their first grand slam women’s doubles titles at the Australian Open on Friday with a 6-4, 7-6 (5) victory over China’s Zheng Jie a
• World champion tests W06 at Silverstone• Car makes official debut at Jerez on SundayMercedes have provided a first sighting of their new W06 car ahead of its official unveiling on Sunday.The world champion Lewis Hamilton and his team-mate Nico Rosberg gave the car a shakedown at Silverstone in what Mercedes described as “icy conditions at the Northamptonshire circuit”. Continue reading..
• Japanese manufacturer to end 18-year absence• Toyota to run 1.6-liter turbo-charged YarisToyota will return to the World Rally Championship in 2017, ending what will be an 18-year absence from the sport.Toyota spent 25 years in rally up to 1999, winning 43 events, along with four drivers’ and three manufacturers’ championships, with such famous names as Carlos Sainz, Juha Kankkunen and Di
Click to enlarge, and debate the strip below the line. Keith Hackett's verdict appears in Sunday's Observer and here from Monday. Continue reading...
• Katie Swan produces stunning recovery to win 0-6, 7-6, 7-5 • British teenager faces Tereza Mihalikova in the final at Melbourne• Laura Robson announces Surprise comebackBritain’s Katie Swan produced a brilliant fightback to book her place in the final of the girls’ singles in the Australian Open.Swan was badly hampered by cramp in the third set but saved three match points on her way to
Today’s rumours have had a touchListening to the radio last night, the Rumour Mill was amused to hear former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan’s frank admission that he once signed a “defensive striker” (ie one that rarely scored) as a sop to a manager whose daughter was going out with a particular player who wanted his pal at Selhurst Park.It was a revealing insight into a world we’d previo
We spoke with legendary streaker Mark Roberts to find out how to run free as nature intended at America’s biggest sporting eventYou’ve streaked at more than 500 events, most famously during Super Bowl XXXVIII between the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers. Have you always had a taste for adventure? In school I was the class joker. In my local bar I’m the crazy guy – the guy who likes
• Turnover at Swansea rises by more than £30m to £98.7m• Club also investing in new training facilities• Kyle Naughton completes £5m move to Swansea from TottenhamSwansea City have announced a post-tax profit of £1.7m, with turnover increasing by more than £30m to nearly £100m.The figures, which cover the club’s latest financial accounts ending 31 May 2014, take in a period in which Swanse
Just how do THEY make football transfer speculation so exciting? Well here's a handy guide, full of everything you ever needed to know (just in case you ever want to start your own multinational sports enterprise), all packed into one air-punching, adrenaline-filled, get-in-to-'em, get-up-and-at-'em, in-and-around, footballing-transfer-madness instructional video Continue reading...