A feelgood horseracing story that was just waiting to be made into a Pride-style dramaThis _Dark Horse_ is not to be confused with the New Zealand film _The Dark Horse_, released earlier this month, still less Todd Solondz’s black comedy _Dark Horse_. This one, subtitled The Incredible True Story of Dream Alliance, is about an actual horse that’s dark, or at least a nice glossy chestnut – mak
*Wests Tigers 22-30 Canberra Raiders*Tigers were 22-0 down after 25 minutes in LeichhardtCanberra recorded their biggest ever comeback victory, fighting back from 22-0 to beat Wests Tigers 30-22 at Leichhardt Oval. The Tigers totally dominated the opening 25 minutes to run in four tries, before the match began to turn. Five-eighth Blake Austin and back-up rake Kurt Baptiste led the way f
*Hawthorn defeated Western Bulldogs 19.13 (127) to 8.9 (57)*Hawks get back to winning ways with second victory of seasonLuke Hodge led Hawthorn to a convincing 70-point win over an injury-depleted Western Bulldogs side in Launceston. The Hawks’ skipper put in a masterful performance, with 44 possessions and two goals in the 19.13 (127) to 8.9 (57) win, with Jarryd Roughead also a key contri
*Crawford scores sixth-round TKO to win vacant WBO 140lb championship*The Omaha native has now won titles at lightweight and junior welterweight*Crawford (26-0, 18 KOs) was named fighter of the year by the BWAA in 2014Terence Crawford landed a stunning right that Thomas Dulorme never really saw.Soon after that, Crawford was a two-time WBO champion, winning the latest title in his first
*Ablett’s manager: ‘Not far away’ from a deal*To commit to Suns until end of 2018 seasonGary Ablett is set to sign a three-year contract extension with AFL club Gold Coast soon.Both the Seven Network and Nine Network reported on Sunday that a new deal, worth $1 million a season, was as good as done. Continue reading...
*Son of boxing icon retires in corner after ninth round against Andrzej Fonfara*Fonfara dominated the action from opening bell and knocked Chavez down *Chavez had been inactive since March 2014 win in rematch with Bryan VeraJulio Cesar Chavez Jr was never going to live up to his father’s name. Who could?Senior is widely considered one of the greatest fighters of all time and his warrio
*Dank writes to ABC to announce intentions after last week’s verdict*Found guilty of multiple breaches of anti-doping codeControversial biochemist Stephen Dank says he will appeal the 10 findings against him by the AFL’s Anti-Doping Tribunal.In a written statement to ABC News Radio, Dank said he planned to advise the AFL of his intention to appeal the tribunal’s decisions handed down las
• City’s 0-0 draw at home to Coventry is enough• Burton secure promotion to League OneBristol City were crowned League One champions on an afternoon when MK Dons ramped up the pressure on Preston for the other automatic promotion spot. Having sealed their place in next season’s Championship in midweek, City needed just a point against Coventry at Ashton Gate to claim the title, and they did ju
• Former world No1 plays top-level tennis for first time in eight years• Poland lead 1-0 after opening singles rubber in Zielona GoraMartina Hingis, five times a grand slam singles champion, made a courageously impressive return to top-level singles tennis in the Fed Cup but was eventually outplayed by Agnieszka Radwanska.Hingis was persuaded to play her first tour-level singles for nearly
• ‘When mathematically it’s done, it’s done, we celebrate,’ says manager• If Herrera was a Chelsea player, ‘on Sky it would be somebody’s crimes’• Match report: Chelsea 1-0 Manchester UnitedJosé Mourinho hailed Chelsea’s win against Manchester United as a tactical masterclass of his own making but could not resist breaking free from the celebrations to complain about the way he perceives Loui
*Queensland Reds 18-17 Cheetahs*Western Force 6-13 Stormers*ACT Brumbies 8-13 Melbourne Rebels*Highlanders 30-24 Blues*Hurricanes 24-29 WaratahsQueensland Reds snapped a six-game Super Rugby losing streak with a stirring 18-17 victory over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.Capping off their two-week tour of South Africa in style, the Reds clawed back from 10-0 down to twice take the le
• Defending champion defies Sheffield curse to emerge victorious• Selby to play Anthony McGill or Stephen Maguire in second round• Selby hitting form at right time as he wins China OpenThe survival instincts of Mark Selby rescued the defending world champion and left Kurt Maflin heartbroken as the Crucible witnessed an opening day classic.It seemed the theatre’s famous curse was set to str
• Rudy Gestede scores hat-trick of headers as Rovers draw 3-3• Bolton manager Neil Lennon’s mood lifted by 2-2 draw at BrentfordGary Bowyer was fuming after his side lost the lead three times – Forest’s Michail Antonio making it 3-3 on 88 minutes after Rudy Gestede had completed a hat-trick. Bowyer said: “If I was Rudy I’d be absolutely fuming with my team-mates. To score late and be 3-2 up, t
The best images from photographer Tom Jenkins at Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea were hoping to open up a ten-point lead at the top.Additional photographs by Tony O’Brien/Action Images and Ben Stansall/AFP/Getty Continue reading...
• Bale and Luka Modric injured days before Champions League clash• Pair limp off field for treatment as Real Madrid beat Málaga 3-1• Lionel Messi scores his 400th Barcelona goal, against ValenciaCristiano Ronaldo made up for a missed a penalty by scoring in injury time in Real Madrid’s 3-1 home win over Málaga, which kept them two points behind Barcelona in second place in La Liga.However,
Also featuring: Election news; Beitar Jerusalem’s kick it out campaign; and Brazilian Ronaldo’s humilityKarl Oyston, owner of relegated Blackpool – winning £20,000 libel damages from a pensioner; answering five FA misconduct charges for calling another fan “a retard” with “special needs”; and attending a Football League board meeting to advise on “the organisation’s strategic direction”. Conti
• Olympian’s wait for top podium place ends in France• Fellow Briton Kristian Thomas wins gold on the floorLouis Smith ended his wait to win a gold medal in a major competition with victory in the pommel horse final at the European Gymnastics Championships in Montpellier.Smith has won two Olympic medals on the pommel – bronze in Beijing in 2008 and silver at London 2012 – but he was finally
Ever-willing Chelsea ace puts Marouane Fellaini in the shade as he all but delivers title to Stamford Bridge• Blues go 10 points clear after victory over Manchester UnitedThis was in its own way a tale of two Belgians. At the end of which, for all Manchester United’s pressure in the second half, there was something fitting in Eden Hazard scoring the only goal of the game at Stamford Bridge as
Chelsea’s player of the year and Barcelona’s scoring machine have little left to prove – but they keep doing it anywayThere shouldn’t really be much debate about the player of the season and Eden Hazard displayed once again why that is with a glorious finish for Chelsea. Continue reading...
• Distraught goalkeeper’s extra-time error led to defeat in FA Cup semi-final• ‘We stick by him. We don’t lose because of Adam,’ says manager• Paul Wilson’s match report: Reading 1-2 ArsenalSteve Clarke offered his full support to Adam Federici, after the goalkeeper was left distraught by his glaring error in extra time that led to Reading’s 2-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat against Arsenal.The
Juventus took a big step towards their fourth straight Serie A title with a 2-0 win over second-placed Lazio which stretched their lead at the top to 15 points.It also gave them a boost for the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Monaco, where the Italian side lead 1-0 from the first game. Continue reading...
Atlético Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann scored twice, including a spectacular overhead kick, to secure a 2-1 win at Deportivo La Coruña that strengthened the champions’ grip on third place.Atlético have opened a four-point lead over Valencia, in fourth with 65 points, after the latter lost 2-0 at Barcelona. Continue reading...
Gloucester 30-19 ExeterGloucester’s hopes of taking something from a disappointing season were kept alive on Saturday when they beat the neighbours, Exeter, to book a place in the Challenge Cup final with a slice of brave captaincy which reflected the collective sense of adventure.Leading by just one point with 13 minutes to go and extra time a real possibility, Gloucester’s captain, Billy T
• Brazilian says he watched how Gerrard, Alonso and Reina behaved• Lucas desperate to win FA Cup to rid himself of unwanted recordLucas Leiva’s take on the controversy at present surrounding Raheem Sterling’s leisure time activities is that footballers should be role models – for each other. Liverpool’s Brazilian midfielder is reluctant to list himself among the club’s senior professionals, al
• Pellegrini confident he will still be in charge next season• Owners trust Chilean to qualify for Champions League, he says• Manchester City v West Ham United: match preview• Vincent Kompany could miss rest of Manchester City’s seasonManuel Pellegrini has admitted it would be a disaster should Manchester City end up in the Europa League next season. The Chilean remains confident he will be
• Tottenham manager seeks response from players at Newcastle• Pochettino stresses that this has been a transitional season• Pochettino: Harry Kane deserves to win PFA awardTottenham have paid a price for the England exploits of Harry Kane and Ryan Mason, says Mauricio Pochettino, who argues that the pair have struggled to refocus on domestic matters after their senior international bows last
Aston Villa’s veteran goalkeeper was left out of Newcastle’s 1999 defeat to Manchester United by Ruud Gullit and owns a winner’s medal he cares little for but is relishing the chance to end the Wembley pain against Liverpool• Christian Benteke: ‘I am happy because I play how I want to play’Shay Given has been trying his best to put a positive spin on his three previous trips to Wembley when it
• Interim manager understands fans upset by lack on investment• Footballing friends, including Alan Shearer, have offered supportJohn Carver has suggested that even Sir Alex Ferguson might find managing Newcastle United tough going right now.Alan Pardew’s successor prepares for the visit of Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday having won only two of his 14 games since taking charge at New Year. Carv
String of highly regarded youngsters have failed to make first team but Chelsea insist recruitment of young talent is more targeted and will bear fruit soon• Mourinho wary of bringing young guns to Premier League duels• Chelsea win Uefa Youth League final against Shakhtar DonetskCall it the Chelsea paradox. On Monday their under-18s will run out at Manchester City’s purpose-built Academy Stad
Cristiano Ronaldo made up for a missed penalty by scoring in injury time in Real Madrid’s home win over Málaga that kept them two points behind Barcelona in second place in La Liga.However, both Gareth Bale and Luka Modric were injured four days before Real host their city rivals Atlético Madrid in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final. Continue reading...