Steve Smith registers his sixth Test century as he and Mitchell Johnson speed Australia towards India’s first-innings 408 at the Gabba. Follow live over-by-over coverage with Geoff Lemon.Email him at email@example.com or tweet @GeoffLemonSport.Day two - as it happenedBrad Haddin equals Australian record for dismissals 1.56pm AEST 80th over: Australia 367-6 (Smith 118, Jo
Glory will be without star player Sam Kerr but Canberra will still have to be at their very best to upset the runaway premiersHow women put the Glory back into PerthIt’s a long-held convention in the W-League – if you want to win silverware you have to live on the eastern seaboard.In seven seasons, three clubs have held a virtual monopoly on the W-League, and with Brisbane Roar and Sydn
• Atlético Madrid 2-2 Hospitalet (5-2 on agg)Atlético Madrid set up a crosstown Copa del Rey tie with Real Madrid despite drawing 2-2 at home to the third-tier side Hospitalet on Thursday, advancing 5-2 on aggregate.The striker Mario Mandzukic scored Atlético’s opener in the 19th minute and headed in a second in the 74th, seven minutes after Hospitalet’s Rubén Alcaraz got his first goal. Co
Tough love for the Jets; Melbourne derby day; Glory seek solace; Sydney need a Christmas bonus; FFA Cup success blighted by final schedulinhWho doesn’t hate football at times? Who, during those dark times when results just aren’t going your way and your team’s first choice back four have the porousness of Swiss cheese but only half the intelligence, hasn’t considered giving the whole game awa
• Africa Cup of Nations gets under way on 17 January• Bentaleb a first-choice in Algeria’s midfield• Capital One Cup match report: Tottenham 4-0 NewcastleFor Nabil Bentaleb the momentum that he has built at Tottenham Hotspur stands to be checked. The 20-year-old helped the club to their 4-0 Capital One Cup quarter-final victory over Newcastle United but he will miss the two-leg semi-final aga
• Liverpool captain issues rallying cry after seeing off Bournemouth• Steven Gerrard hopes win can spur team on against Arsenal• Match report: Bournemouth 1 Liverpool 3Steven Gerrard has urged his Liverpool team-mates to “roll up your sleeves and fight for the club” as the side attempt to inject some momentum into their Premier League campaign with a morale-boosting victory over Arsenal on Su
Former owner of Saab had filed for protection from creditors after struggling to pay rent following dismissal of $3m lawsuitDutch firm Spyker, former owner of Sweden’s Saab and maker of such models as the LM85, declared bankruptcy on Thursday after failing to secure a critical bridging loan that it had hoped would help it refinance and restructure. The company, formed in 2000 to resurrect an ea
• Bernie Ecclestone retains foothold in latest reshuffle• Former Ferrari chairman and businessman take nonexecutive posts• Bernie Ecclestone says he will not step down despite rumoursThe somewhat erratic machinations at the top level of management within Formula One took another surprising turn on Thursday when the owner CVC announced the appointment of the former Ferrari chairman Luca di Mon
• Three men had been doing ‘voluntary work’ for sponsor• Spurs were fined £11,870 by Uefa for the invasion• Tottenham through to League Cup semi-finalThree men have admitted to a pitch-invasion stunt which forced a Tottenham match to be temporarily halted last month.Nathaniel Thompson, 23, Helder Gomes, 22, and Daniel Jarvis, 26, were arrested after bizarre scenes during Spurs’ Europa Leag
The president of the Green Sports Alliance, called the announcement the “most important environmental initiative ever made by a professional sports league globally”The National Hockey League announced today it plans to offset the league’s carbon footprint during the current season, and shrink energy use moving forward.As part of the plan, Constellation, a Baltimore-based energy company wit
Ipswich defender is now on Arsenal’s radar after a rapid rise from Chippenham to the Championship but he is loyal to his roots and his current club’s fans• Ipswich: the £10,000 team pushing for the Premier LeagueAs Tyrone Mings tells his remarkable and heart-warming story, there are times when the 21-year-old Ipswich Town defender cannot help but shake his head and smile. Linked with multimill
• Amir Khan offers help ‘to rebuild school’ in Pakistan• Bolton fighter reiterates wish to fight Floyd Mayweather• Khan delivers in style to defeat AlexanderAmir Khan is to donate the shorts he wore in beating Devon Alexander in his second welterweight title fight to help raise money for the school in Peshawar where 132 schoolchildren were shot dead by the Taliban on Tuesday.The shorts hav
• ‘Fans should remember where Nigel has taken the club’• Leicester face tough trip to West Ham on Saturday• Nigel Pearson charged over row with fanLeicester City fans should show some loyalty and remember just where Nigel Pearson has taken the club, according to West Ham’s manager, Sam Allardyce.Pearson, whose side are three points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League table before Sa
• FA punishment rules Mario Balotelli out of Liverpool v Arsenal• Balotelli says he will not appeal against decision• Mario Balotelli charged by FA over Instagram postMario Balotelli has been banned for one match and fined £25,000 after being found guilty of breaching Football Association rules by posting a controversial image of Super Mario on Instagram. Continue reading...
• Trainer reports chaser not pleasing him in work at home• Courses prepare as cold snap is forecast for ChristmasStable still hoping chaser can make Boxing Day dateHandler reports problems readying Sprinter SacreSimonsig, who has not raced since winning the Arkle Trophy in March 2013, will miss the King George VI Chase at Kempton Park on Boxing Day after Nicky Henderson, his trainer, admitte
The Tony Carroll-trained Boom The Groom at Wolverhampton is rated the best bet of the day3.50 Charlton Heights 4.20 Kaufmann 4.50 Ershaad 5.20 Boom The Groom (nap) 5.50 China Excels 6.20 Ecliptic Sunrise 6.50 Royal Trooper Continue reading...
Swansea City manager Garry Monk looks ahead to his team's match against Hull City on Saturday at the KC Stadium. Monk says he is expecting a difficult game, but following last week's 2-1 loss to Tottenham Hotspur, the squad are highly motived to win three points. Monk also comments on Lukasz Fabiański's return from suspension and on reports linking Jefferson Montero to match fixing Continue readin
• Aston Villa manager says Keane did go to Cleverley’s house• It certainly wasn’t how it was portrayed, says Lambert• Keane resigns from role as Aston Villa assistant managerThe Aston Villa manager, Paul Lambert, has confirmed his former assistant Roy Keane did turn up at the midfielder Tom Cleverley’s house this week but said Cleverley told him that the Irishman did not ring the doorbell for
League Cup quarter-finals, Thierry Henry's retirement and the latest goings-on at Fifa are on the agenda for AC Jimbo and co Continue reading...
Bears safety Chris Conte said he would cut 15 years off his life for his NFL career. But he shouldn’t have to make the choiceIf you missed it, Chris Conte – a safety for the Chicago Bears who has recently suffered two concussions – went on the radio Wednesday to say that just being able to play in the NFL is worth the associated health risks. He elaborated, saying that he would “rather have t
Over 27,000 tickets have been sold for Wasps’ first game at the Ricoh, but the niggling worry is that moving 83 miles north feels like they are being franchised• Toulon threaten legal action against Leicester fansAs this is the season not to be a curmudgeon, I’d like to welcome Wasps to the Midlands. A look at the map suggests that if there are geographical issues to be had they are more to th
European champions Real Madrid prepare for Saturday's Fifa Club World Cup final against South American champions San Lorenzo. Real Madrid beat Mexican team Cruz Azul 4-0 to reach the final on Tuesday. San Lorenzo defeated Auckland City 2-1 on Wednesday to qualify for the final, held in Marrakech, Morocco Continue reading...
• ‘He is back in training. I might take him,’ says Arsène Wenger• Walcott injured groin after recovering from serious knee problem• Arsenal confident Oxlade-Chamberlain will return at AnfieldThe Arsenal forward Theo Walcott could make a return to action at Liverpool on Sunday. The manager Arsène Wenger revealed the 25-year-old, who has made just two appearances this season after recovering fr
Everton manager Roberto Martínez looks ahead to his team's Premier League clash against Southampton on Saturday at St Mary's Stadium. Martínez says Southampton are a very talented side and a joy to watch. The manager also comments on Everton midfielder Ross Barkley's development with the club following his performance against QPR on Monday night Continue reading...
The West Ham United manager, Sam Allardyce, says he has no concerns over his future at the club, despite his contract expiring at the end of the season. Speaking on Thursday before West Ham's Premier League match against Leicester City at Upton Park on Saturday, Allardyce comments on the chances of a new deal for striker Diafra Sakho Continue reading...
America and Cuba are moving towards a restoration of relations. And fans will hope their clubs can exploit a rich vein of talentWith the announcement that relations between the United States and Cuba are on the cusp of a major thaw, the North American sports community is anticipating the possibility of Cuban prospects flooding into Major League Baseball, once they are free to do so.Of all
• Disgraced doctor has previously been banned for life• Ferrari denies meeting the Astana team in 2013Law enforcement authorities need to prevent banned physician Michele Ferrari from seeing riders and conclude his long-running stain on the sport, according to the president of the Italian Cycling Federation.“It needs to be law enforcement and judicial officials that put an end to it,” Renat
Greg Wood looks back at the most impressive winners, high-profile losers and major events in racing this year• Robert Kitson on rugby union • Paul Wilson on football• William Fotheringham on cycling • Ewan Murray on golf • Kevin Mitchell on tennis • Sean Ingle on athleticsThe Head family has been bound up with the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe for three generations since William Head saddled the
• West Ham’s most expensive mascot package is £600• Several clubs charge more than £250 for under-16 season ticket• Clubs accused of ‘excluding families from poorer backgrounds’• Nine clubs, however, do not charge at all for mascot placesMore than half the Premier League clubs have been accused of “excluding families from poorer backgrounds” after a Guardian study found that a few of them ar
England schoolboys are relegated to red; rugby league shines in sunny Florida; Castleford Tigers plan for the future; and what to watch over the festive season By Gavin Willacy for No Helmets Required, part of the Guardian Sport NetworkRejoice and shout from the roof-tops: England beat the Aussies! OK, it was only in the Academy internationals but, for once, England came out on top rather th